Sunday, February 10, 2013

Argo



Argo
 
Jay's review: 9 out of 10
    Argo, directed by Ben Affleck, in my opinion, was an amazing movie. The story is fascinating. I thought all of the actors did a great job playing their characters. The movie was full of action and suspense. At the beginning when, the Iranians stormed the U.S. embassy, I couldn’t wait to see what would happen. At the end when, the diplomats were escaping Iran, the suspense was so intense, I was on the edge of my seat, wondering if they would escape or not. I really thought that it was cool how the C.I.A. agent got into Iran pretending to be a filmmaker looking for a location for his “movie”. The language was pretty intense, and there was some violence, but I think this movie is ok for kids about 13 and up, which is about my age. I definitely recommend this movie. It is a high quality movie!

Mom's review: 9 out of 10
 In a year with many strong candidates, Argo is my choice for Best Picture, and I give it 9 out of 10 stars.  Apparently this stranger-than-fiction espionage story was unearthed in an obscure intelligence journal- what a find!  Two things put this film at the front of the pack for me.  First, balancing the borderline-absurd Hollywood plot (including many laugh out loud moments) with the deadly serious, steadily building tension of the espionage plot.  The second thing that distinguishes Argo is the vividly detailed re-creation of the near past, without slipping into kitsch.  I liked that Affleck used mostly unfamiliar actors in the embassy scenes, which may have made it easier to accept their wide collars, big glasses, and groovy hair. The final thirty minutes were a brilliantly intense payoff.  I am really enjoying having kids old enough to see and discuss serious movies like this.  Some parents may have concerns about the language, but we thought that the historical importance of the story outweighed the frequent swearing, and this movie gave us lots to talk about as a family.
 

4 comments:

  1. Great idea for a blog! Though it may be even more interesting when you get to a movie on which you disagree.... I'll definitely buy tickets to THAT show ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This blog could be very helpful for other parents and kids who are considering a movie outing - few reviewers attempt to speak to both audiences. Blog on!

      Delete
  2. This is one I haven't seen yet but am eager to - thanks for the great reviews! I'm interested, did yall come up with your ratings independently and just happen to agree, or did you confer?

    ReplyDelete
  3. When I saw Argo last fall, I too was impressed by the clever use of fact, humor, and real suspense. Director Ben Affleck and his writers have created a terrific entertainment that not only speaks to our complicated international crises but also to our modern tastes. The use of John Goodman, Alan Arkin, and a terrific cast (the Iranian embassy crowd) infused Argo with both chuckles and growing tension. I would not be unhappy with a Best Picture Oscar this month, though I still prefer Life of Pi. Both your reviews were spot on.

    ReplyDelete